Hothead Games is 200 people that make free-to-play mobile games. We have offices in Vancouver, British Columbia and Halifax, Nova Scotia. We move fast, we do amazing work and we have a lot of fun doing it.
The Backend team is located in our Vancouver office and we’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to join us. We support our games by building and operating server infrastructure that is highly scalable and fault tolerant. We strive for generalized automation of testing, provisioning, deployment, and capacity. We believe in building tools that empower and enable developers to self-serve. We work extensively with Amazon Web Services.
As an ideal candidate you want to work with a team to build something we can be proud of, that has been done right. You enjoy being relied upon. You are comfortable exploring unchartered territory, where the best technical decision is not clear up front, where you might make mistakes. You value the role of well-defined processes in running a smooth operation. You appreciate unit testing, measurement, automation, and configuration as code. You operate calmly and rationally under pressure, and are able to diagnose problems quickly and fix operational issues at their source. You devote time to keeping your knowledge state-of-the-art.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operate and continuously improve Hothead’s backend server infrastructure
- Work with game teams to build new backend features and infrastructure
- Expand automation, ensure all changes to capacity occur automatically
- Build tools that empower developers and front-line player support teams
- Optimize our delivery pipeline
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Fluency in modern web languages and frameworks, especially Python
- Proficient in Linux system administration
- 3+ years working experience (in comparable role -- video game experience not required)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Databases: DynamoDB, Redis, SQL
- Configuration management: Chef, Ansible, Docker
- Metrics and Logs: Kibana, ElasticSearch, Logstash, Fluentd, Graphite, InfluxDB, Statsd, Grafana
- Monitoring and Alerting: Nagios, Datadog, Sensu, Shinken, PagerDuty
This position is for our Vancouver office, located at 1555 West Pender Street, in beautiful Coal Harbour! Compensation includes salary, vacation and a great Extended Health and Dental package. Lots of other benefits including an in-house gym, RRSP Matching, company golfing, major/minor league sports event, summer BBQs, snacks, beer and amazing people to work with!