Hothead Games is a 200-person game development studio focused on free-to-play for iOS and Android devices. Millions of people play our games and this generates large amounts of data. Transforming this data to make it both meaningful and actionable is a key priority at Hothead.
We are seeking an ambitious and experienced data scientist to develop advanced data models and analysis methods to assist in optimizing the performance of our games. As the perfect candidate for the position, you have the deep understanding, training and experience in advanced data analysis techniques to further the state-of-the-art at Hothead. You excel at solving problems, transforming abstract questions into data models, queries, tests and simulations that deliver measurable outcomes in the financial performance of our games.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor, summarize, and present KPIs for a portfolio of games
- Provide cleaned and summarized data to support product decisions
- Collect, document, and communicate specific data-related questions to internal stakeholders (game producers, designers, marketing, etc.)
- Use statistical techniques with available data to solve relevant company game performance and business problems.
- Plan, design, and develop new models (linear models, GLM, survival analysis, ARIMA, feature selection, machine learning, etc.), algorithms, and techniques for data analysis and implement them.
- Advise data analysts on best practices for solving more complex analysis problems
- Establish and communicate best practices for analytics-related processes in the company
- Research and evaluate existing game data to discover useful findings for improving financial performance
- Bachelor’s Degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, economics or other applied sciences
- Fluent in with SQL, R, Tableau, and Python.
- Demonstrated competence in statistics, probability, and other relevant areas of mathematics
- Experience with big data
- Strong critical-thinking, problem solving, and communications skills
- Familiarity with free-to-play game design concepts and industry-standard KPIs used to measure game performance
- Mobile app industry experience (especially user acquisition)
- Experience with AWS and Kochava
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Kinesis, and Kafka
- Experience with databases like PostgreSQL and MySQL
This is for a permanent full time position in our Vancouver office. Located at 1555 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T1.
We offer a great compensation package that includes your salary, vacation, extended health, dental and vision care benefits. Some other nice to have’s include an in-house gym, RRSP Matching, weekly lunch and learn’s, major/minor league sports event, summer BBQs, snacks, beer and amazing people to work with!