Hothead Games is 200 people that make free-to-play mobile games. We are one of the world’s top publishers in the first person shooter and sports genres. We have offices in Vancouver, British Columbia and Halifax, Nova Scotia. We move fast, we do amazing work and we have a lot of fun doing it.
We are looking for an experienced programmer to join our team to focus on building and improving our game backends. If you enjoy tackling challenging problems and building SaaS infrastructures that scale to millions of users, then Hothead may be the next big step in your career.
- Design, plan, and implement backend features for our games.
- Diagnose, evaluate and resolve operational and backend performance issues.
- Assess, organize and execute automated load tests to identify system bottlenecks.
- Co-ordinate and work with the analytics team to ensure in-game user behavior data is integrated correctly with our analytics platform.
- Continuously improve uptime and performance of backend systems by writing tools or choosing existing ones to incorporate into our systems.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering
- Experience implementing server-side game features using Python or a similar language.
- Comfortable operating on the command line in a POSIX environment.
- Experience designing, and implementing RESTful services.
- Demonstrated competence in software engineering principles.
- Familiarity with source control systems, particularly Perforce and git.
- Experience with automated build testing, and load testing technologies to constantly improve performance and stability within our games.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to transmit complex information to technical, and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with NoSQL databases like CouchDB, DynamoDB and Redis
- Experience with the Amazon Web Services platform
- Configuration and infrastructure management experience
- Practical experience with continuous integration methodologies
- Experience with the game engines like Torque
- Expertise in other languages such as C++, Objective-C
This is for a permanent full time position in our Halifax office. Located at 1883 Upper water Street, Suite 104 Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J1S9
We offer a great compensation package that includes your salary, vacation, extended health, dental and vision care benefits. Some other nice to have’s include RRSP Matching, transit subsidy, parking, gym membership, weekly lunch and learn’s, Summer BBQ, snacks, beer and amazing people to work with!