Hothead Games is 200 people that make free-to-play mobile games, with offices in Vancouver, British Columbia and Halifax, Nova Scotia. As one of the world’s top publishers in the first person shooter and sports genres, we move fast, do amazing work and have a lot of fun doing it.
Hothead Games is looking for a Tools Programmer who is passionate about writing world class, AAA game development tools. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct impact on the productivity of our game development teams, across all development disciplines, and help drive our tools technology forward to support the creation of all of Hothead’s game projects.
The Tools Programmer role will involve developing, maintaining and innovating on all aspects of the asset pipeline and tools technology. You should have clear ideas for improving existing tools as well as ideas for completely new tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning, designing, implementing features for our internal toolset.
- Evaluating, designing and implementing user interfaces and workflow for our editors.
- Testing, maintaining and upgrading the existing toolset code base, such as our asset pipeline and our deployment pipeline.
- Analyzing, assessing, testing and fixing common problems in a game engine, such as load times, memory usage and performance problems.
- Co-ordinate and work with internal game teams by answering their requests and questions.
- 5+ years’ experience in a programming role
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field (or equivalent experience)
- Excellent C++ skills
- Experience writing tools that improve the user experience of the consumer of the tool or increase workflow and productivity
- Experience writing UIs with toolkits such as WPF or QT
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to transmit complex information to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Solid grounding in software engineering principles and best practices, including test-driven design
- Experience with Android and iOS development
- Programming experience with multiple engines and pipelines (e.g. Unity, Unreal)
- Experience with Python
This is for a permanent full time position in our Vancouver office. Located at 1555 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T1.
We offer a great compensation package that includes your salary, vacation, extended health, dental and vision care benefits. Some other nice to have’s include an in-house gym, RRSP Matching, weekly lunch and learn’s, major/minor league sports event, summer BBQs, snacks, beer and amazing people to work with!