We are looking for an experienced rendering programmer to join our team. Your focus will be to build, extend and continually improve the graphical visual quality of our mobile games through industry-leading 3D techniques and algorithms. We’re committed to our games showcasing the largest 3D rendering potential of the latest mobile devices.
Hothead Games is 150 people that make free-to-play mobile games, located in Vancouver, British Columbia. We are one of the world’s top publishers in the first person shooter and sports genres. We move fast, we do amazing work and we have a lot of fun doing it.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own, upgrade and maintain our rendering tools, pipeline and related code in our proprietary game engine.
- Design, implement, upgrade and maintain run-time rendering and graphics pipeline code for our games.
- Act as an expert advisor on 3D graphics and rendering related issues to other team members.
- Profile game performance to assess and find rendering bottlenecks and improve overall performance on a variety of mobile devices.
- Work closely with 3D artists to achieve world-class rendering and effects in our games.
- 5+ years experience in a game programming role
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience shipping 3D video games on PC, console or mobile platforms
- In-depth knowledge and experience with OpenGL and GLSL
- Expert-level C++ knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated competence in shader programming
- Practical experience with GPU profiling tools like Xcode Instruments, Snapdragon Profiler or equivalent
- Solid grounding in software engineering principles and best practices, including test driven design.
- Familiarity with source control systems, particularly Perforce and git.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to transmit complex information to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Credited in shipped titles on iOS and Android
- Experience with GPU-specific APIs like Metal, especially on mobile platforms
- Graphics programming experience with multiple engines and pipelines (i.e. broader than just Unity)
- Familiarity with Maya and Substance Painter
- Experience with Python
This is a permanent full time position in our Vancouver office, located at 1555 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC.
We offer a great compensation package that includes your salary, vacation, extended health, dental and vision care benefits. Some other nice to have’s include an in-house gym, RRSP Matching, company golfing, major/minor league sports event, summer BBQs, snacks, beer and amazing people to work with!